Sulfur Extended Asphalt Life Cycle Assessment
Saudi Aramco Chair in Asphalt Pavements
With the excess of sulfur by-product in many oil and gas producing countries, the industry is seeking new markets that can successfully use this by-product. One of the applications of sulfur is to replace petroleum based asphalt binder in producing asphalt mixtures. TEST developed a tool to evaluate environmental impact of SEA mixtures considering its life-cycle stages from crude oil extraction to the production of sulfur pellets and use in asphalt pavements.
- TEST followed standard life-cycle assessment (LCA) practices.
- TEST collaborated with local researchers at King Faisal University in Saudi Arabia to collect data on local construction practices, materials, and standards.
- TEST analyzed and modeled the data collected to develop a regionalized LCA inventory database.
- TEST developed a full desktop software to perform pavement LCA, including design, construction, use, rehabilitation, and end-of-life.
- TEST conducted several case studies to evaluate the potential impacts from SEA mixtures versus conventional mixtures.
A complete LCA desktop software and a comprehensive LCA report and case studies for SEA mixtures.